space
test

Photo Friday: Silhouette




Aside from being tricky to spell, I found this week's Photo Friday challenge to be, well, challenging. It turns out I don't have a firm grasp on the concept of a silhouette. It's not that I don't understand the definition of the word. I was just having trouble taking it from the abstract to the concrete. My first thought was of those old-fashioned silhouettes of people's profiles cut from black paper and my brain just kind of stopped there. I looked up the second definition to see if that would help. According to my dictionary it's "the outline of a body viewed as circumscribing a mass." Right. I went out with my camera a few times hoping to stumble across a mass circumscribed by its outline but it just never happened.

So it was back to the photo archives again, although this time not too far (took this a few weeks ago) and also to a picture that hadn't been published here previously. It's probably more of a shadow than a silhouette. It's definitely not a circumscribed mass. But then, you know, what is?

This week's challenge is "signs." Much better.

(I'm a day late on this Photo Friday challenge submission because Blogger and Hello seem to be having a little tiff. I still can't get the picture from Thursday's post or the new Writers Store banner to load. Not sure what the issue is. I'm working on it, though. In the meantime, if you come here and there's no photograph to look at, that's why.)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing your photographs..they're lovely!

letti.blogspot.com

Visual-Field said...

This is a great photo. I like it very much. (The dark stuff is a shadow, though, and not a silhouette. You get a silhouette by taking a photo of an object itself, but underexposing so much that that the object looks like a black outline, with no surface detail. If you had put the basket against a lighted background with not much light on the basket, and exposed for the background, the basket would have come out black. It probably wouldn't have been as nice a photo, though.)